Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day Ten - Brussels

We got up early so Hubs could climb the Belfry before we left town. Heights aren't my thing. I can do one climb per vacation, and that was Notre Dame, so Hubs was on his own. After conducting the scientific experiment of which fry stand in front of the Belfry is better, Hubs and I both agreed it was the stand on the right. And, lucky for me, the stand on the right opened first, so I had fries for breakfast (you must order the cocktail sauce with them, it's so awfully good) and chatted with the vendor who was from Nepal. Now I want to go to Nepal. Add it to the list.

We had one more waffle on our way back to the hotel. Seriously, I wasn't a big fan of the waffle before this trip, but these are the densest, heartiest waffles with the perfect amount of sweetness. I'm a convert.

Took the train to Brussels and walked ten minutes to the Max Hotel. This hotel was a great deal, very clean and modern, and within walking distance to the Grand Place. We checked our bags, too early to check in, and did the ultra touristy lunch thing on rue de Bouchers. It's a street lined with restaurant after restaurant and waiters stand outside their restaurants trying to lure you in. We ate outside at Chez Leon and had the beer, moules, and frites combo.


And pate, of course.


The mussels weren't extraordinary, but I think it was a good deal at 13 Euros.

After lunch we walked to the Grand Place and saw the beautiful square.


We saw the little kid peeing a few blocks away. Most overrated tourist attraction ever.


I guess Brussels is where we went all out tourist. We ate on the touristy lunch street, and we decided to spend some extra Euros and eat on the actual Grote Markt, where the food usually isn't as good and more expensive, but has the good view. We ate at 't Kelderke and the food was excellent and the view was even better. Hubs ordered ham and chicory gratin. Rich and cheesy.


I had stoep de carbonnade which was mashed potatoes and spinach served with beer and beef stew. The stew was so good, one of the richest things I've ever eaten. I didn't even come close to finishing it.


We watched the sun set over the over the guild buildings. The square came to life. People brought picnics. It was really beautiful and worth the stop in Brussels.

View from our table at 't Kelderke


Brussels is a strange city. Walking the streets, it seems very blue collar, almost American. And then you look up and see beautiful old buildings on top of discount bridal shops and remember than you're in Europe. I like cities that can surprise you that way, but I left Brussels feeling like I didn't need to spend more than one day there.

No comments:

Post a Comment