Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bingo, West Hollywood Style

A few weeks ago, I got to do something I've been wanting to do for a long time...Drag Queen Bingo! One of our friends had a fundraiser for Susan G. Komen for the Cure at Hamburger Mary's in West Hollywood. So I was able to support a great cause, and also cross something off of my L.A. To Do Checklist.

The restaurant was packed. Calpernia Addams hosted the event. Her life story is pretty fascinating, ranging from earning numerous commendations for her service as a Navy Medic in the Gulf War, to being thrust into the national spotlight after tragedy, and evolving into a trusted spokeswoman for the LGBT community. But beyond her obvious resilience, she's incredibly witty, and just mean enough to the ridiculous people who don't listen to the rules and call out Bingo when they don't have a Bingo. I'll give you a hint: she has a leather belt.

I had a great time, really should have brought my camera. Now I need to go to the drag/burlesque show Calpernia does on Saturdays. Should be a blast. And I'll be sure to bring my camera.

Calpernia's Saturday show that I will be attending sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment