Sunday, July 29, 2012

PERSUASION by Jane Austen

A book review.


So many cousins, so little time.

There are probably thirty characters in the book divided among about four last names: siblings, cousins, parents, love interests. It was hard to tell characters apart, and they all blurred together for me.

I read "Persuasion" hoping for some inspiration for a coming-of-age comedy, and I suppose it served its purpose; I have a few vague ideas for a script I may write somewhere down the line. But not a lot happened in this book of significant length. I can see why there aren't twenty film adaptations of this one (though IMDB does list four).

As per usual, there's a nice love story, but it's fairly simple and the characters aren't terribly compelling. I found the lead character's two siblings to be more interesting than she. I wasn't excitedly reaching for the book everyday, so it took me an embarrassingly long time to get through it. I remember enjoying "Sense and Sensibility" much more.**

Rating System:

**** = Amazing, Fantastic, Life-Changing
*** = Excellent & Worth a Read
** = Not a Complete Waste of Time but I Probably Wouldn't Recommend It
* = Blech!

And I don't do that half star nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment