Thursday, March 24, 2011

Japan


This post comes very late. On March 11th a 9.0 earthquake struck northern Japan near Sendai. As if that wasn't devastating enough, a tsunami followed that demolished many seaside towns. I turned on CNN right after the earthquake was reported on the local news. For a half an hour I watched a single helicopter shot of the tsunami wave tearing through the coast and countryside. It looked like special effects in a movie: so surreal, so fast even from so high above. I'll never forget it. I hope to see nothing like that again.

Two weeks later, the earthquake isn't dominating the news, since it seems like there won't be a nuclear meltdown, there isn't enough fear to spread to be worth the U.S. media's time. But I want to take a moment to remember the tens of thousands of lives that were lost and send out a prayer to the people of Japan and their families who have lost loved ones or will spend years rebuilding their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment