Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day Four - Paris - Marie Antoinette Day

Still wasn't feeling great this day. Did not sleep. Was unable to wake up early. And I am a champion sleeper so this was a bit frustrating to say the least.

But I eventually pulled myself from bed and we hopped on the RER out to beautiful Versailles. Getting to Versailles slightly after it opened meant waiting in a long line surrounded by oodles of schoolchildren. At first this seemed like an evil curse, but it lead to the best moment of the day when I overheard the following conversation behind me in lovely British accents:

Boy: I always had a crush on Sophie.
Girl: Really? Sophie?
Boy: Yeah, I was always jealous of her boyfriends and wanted to be with her. But then I realized, no, I don't, I'm gay.

I almost lost it. So funny. I had to get a glimpse of this kid, and I didn't even need to be discreet because these kids were so involved with their conversation about Sophie I could've lit myself afire and they wouldn't have noticed. Sophie's friend was short, freckled, and bespectacled with braces, I'm estimating around fourteen. I hope he finds a nice boyfriend.

Walking toward the Versailles entrance
And finally, we were in Versailles. Which was crowded. Oh so many people. The best rooms were the Hall of Mirrors and the King and Queens Bedrooms. The light in the Hall of Mirrors was amazing. That would be my writing room. I mean, if you have a room like that to write in, no excuses, right? The Bedrooms were so matchy matchy it made me nervous. Matching walls, linens, and canopies. Appropriately regal, though.

We had brought quiche with us and ate outside the palace. I always forget that I don't like quiche until I take a bite and remember that I don't like quiche. Note to self, no more quiche. Even in France.

The grounds were beautiful. We trekked what seemed like a long distance to Mary Antoinette's Hamlet, which was basically a neighborhood of Austrian houses for when she was homesick. The street was beautiful, on a lake. A smaller vacation palace, Triannon, was also built. You know, for when you got sick of living in Versailles. No wonder the entire country revolted.

Took the train back to Paris and climbed up the Arc de Triomphe at sunset and I wouldn't want to go at any other time. The lights in the city had just turned on, but there was still enough light to make up buildings. The Eiffel Tower started its glittering light show when we were up there. It's the perfect spot to see the whole city from, and how all the streets branch out like a star. Go at dusk.



We took the subway down to the Marais and had a wonderful meal at L'Auberge des Deux Ponts, 7 rue des Deux Ponts. The place didn't look like much, about seven tables and bare bones decor, but it was late and still busy which is always a good sign. Had a good, warm feeling the moment I walked in. Plus, the same man takes orders, cooks, and serves, so we felt really good about supporting this one man show.

I had a night of misordering. I got the Entree + Plat + Cafe and I ordered the Brick au Saumon for my appetizer. Remember, I was on my pate kick, so I was thinking salmon brick, probably a salmon pate. Not too far of a stretch, right? Turned out it was better than pate. It was a piece of smoke salmon fried in some sort of phyllo-ish pastry and topped with a cream sauce. Oh my. It was kind of fabulous.

Accidentally took a few bites before the photo, that's how good it was.

For my main course I ordered Escalopine Normande thinking it would be scallops. Nope. Chicken Scallopini with a creamy mushroom sauce. I am not a big fan of chicken. But Hubs likes chicken and he was kind enough to trade with me.



So I ate steak with gorganzola sauce which was so, so good.


We shared tiramisu for dessert which was better than most of the tiramisu we had in Italy.


We also shared a carafe of wine. This place is a great deal. Plat + Entree or Entree + Dessert + Cafe = 13.50 Euros at dinner. You're not going to find a better deal for this quality of food. Appetizer + 2 main courses + dessert + wine and coffee for two = 37 Euros.

One of the many picturesque veiws on our long walk home.
We left the restaurant so late that the subway was closed. We ended up walking back to our apartment, which was a long walk, but after such a great meal and a buzz off the wine, it didn't seem so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment