Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Apple & Kale Salad

My major food revelation this summer has been kale. I've tried cooking kale a number of times and never really liked it, which made me sad. But then I had a kale salad at Red Hill and loved it. I like my kale raw, who knew? Since then, I've been making a lot of kale salads. This is the one I'm eating this week.



Apple & Kale Salad

* 1/3 bunch of green kale leaves, pulled from the stems, washed and dried
* 1/4 of a can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 small apple, diced
* 1 mandarin orange, segmented, or 5 segments from a can
* 1 very small avocado, diced
* 1 oz. feta, crumbled
* 1 scallion, thinly sliced
* 1 T of honey mustard dressing (recipe below)

Toss all ingredients together. Serves 1. Around 450 calories by my rudimentary calculations.

Honey Mustard Dressing

* 1 T whole grain dijon mustard
* 1 T honey
* juice of 1 lemon
* 1 T white wine vinegar
* 2 tsp soy sauce
* 2 T of extra virgin olive oil
* salt and pepper

Put mustard, honey, lemon, vinegar, and soy sauce in a small tupperware and stir with a fork until honey is mixed in. Pour in oil, season with salt and pepper, cover with lid and shake to combine. Can be refrigerated for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment