Sunday, August 12, 2012

"Love, Life, and Elephants: An African Love Story" by Dame Daphne Sheldrick

A book review.


My mother bought me this book for my birthday because I've been a little obsessed with elephants after my visit to Patara Elephant Farm.

Dame Daphne Sheldrick shares a beautiful memoir, appropriately titled. It's a well-written and very honest look at the triumphs and more often tribulations of living on the wild plains of Kenya in the 1950's through the present day. She recounts the stories of many of the orphan babies she nurtured decades ago as if she just experienced them last week, the joy and pain still right at the surface.

I think anyone who loves nature or dreams of going on a safari would love this book. You do feel as though you've been transported to a different, sometimes magical world when reading it. ***

Rating System:

**** = Amazing, Fantastic, Life-Changing
*** = Excellent & Worth a Read
** = Not a Complete Waste of Time but I Probably Wouldn't Recommend It
* = Blech!

And I don't do that half-star nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment