Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Is $11 Guacamole Ever Worth It?

It's the age-old question. Is designer guacamole really better than the stuff you get for $5 at your local taco stand? Bar Ama answers the question with a resounding, YES! 


The guacamole at Bar Ama is the best I've ever had. There's no garlic, or if there is it's undetectable. There's serrano, but it's not spicy. There's cilantro, but I don't remember distinctly tasting cilantro. There's lime, but it doesn't taste citrusy. There's celery, but, again, I never detected celery. With all that description, you may ask, Well, what does it taste like, then? Sounds like a lot of nothing. 

Now, I like garlic. I like spice. I don't find cilantro to taste like dish soap. I love the acid of citrus. But the truth here is that all those ingredients in minute doses add up to the perfect combination to make the fresh avocados sing. Hubs noted, It tastes like the avocados are still breathing. He's good with words, that's why I married him.

So, I'd say the guacamole was a success. And you get a large bowl of it, so the sting of the $11 price tag doesn't leave a mark.

We also had the pig tails.


Fried porky goodness covered with pickled salad with hint of sweet from oranges, and  hint of spice from peppers.

Hubs enjoyed his old fashioned (made with tequila!) so much that he ordered a second. All in all, this is a place I definitely want to come back to. I also loved the ambiance: low lighting, exposed brick walls, high ceilings, lots of buzzing energy. I can't wait to try more dishes and maybe get a cocktail.

No comments:

Post a Comment