Thursday, June 30, 2011

New Favorite Breakfast

I'm completely hooked on my new favorite breakfast, savory oatmeal with egg. I don't like a sweet, sugary breakfast and I wanted to enjoy oatmeal, so this is the perfect marriage. The fiber and the protein in this meal keep me feeling full for hours.


Savory Oatmeal with Egg

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 egg
1/3 oz. grated cheddar
1 chopped scallion
pepper

In a small saucepan, combine water and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add rolled oats and stir. Reduce heat to medium-low. Let oats cook for a minute, then crack the egg into the pan. Continue occasionally stirring oatmeal and egg whites, leaving yolk intact. Cook about 4 minutes, until oatmeal is cooked and thickened and egg yolk is set. Pour oatmeal and egg into a bowl. Add cheddar. Add pepper and scallion to taste.

Serves 1. About 270 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment