Wednesday, August 3, 2011

a tiny death


Yesterday I called to make an appointment to get my bangs trimmed and heard words that strike fear in the hearts of all girls who have found their perfect hair stylist at the perfect price: "Oh, she no longer works here." And so that's that. Where did she go? Is she at another shop? Is it appropriate to ask these questions?

I know that L.A. is big and beauty centric, therefore, it seems that it would be easy to find a person that can cut hair well and do so affordably. I have not found this to be the case. I've had $100 haircuts and $10 haircuts and everything in between, but was never completely satisfied until I found my formerly current stylist. And, astonishingly, until very recently, the haircuts were only $25. I had seriously hit the jackpot. Now the prices have gone up significantly and my stylist is gone.

I don't know why I liked my stylist so much. She had crazy amounts of energy and was a little kooky. Mostly she just cut hair really well. The last time she cut my hair, I had to wait ten minutes because she was off crying somewhere, perhaps this has something to do with why she's no longer at the salon. But girlfriend came back, pulled it together, was chipper, and gave me a great cut. Props to her.

I hope she's gotten a great new job somewhere else, or is just taking some needed time off. I wish her all the best. I hope my fill-in stylist does as good of a job as she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment