Tuesday, June 11, 2013

THE BRIEF WONDROUS LIFE OF OSCAR WAO by Junot Diaz

A book review. Full disclosure: I listened to this one on audio book while on trains travelling through Germany, Austria, and the Czech Republic.


I know this book won about every award out there, and I see why. Junot Diaz's style and voice is a standout. His asides are witty and poignant. I look forward to reading DROWN and THIS IS HOW TO LOSE HER. But, I sadly admit, I didn't love OSCAR, the character or the book. It was a little too all over the place for me, jumping from one perspective and character to another with no real closure or sense of an ending. All the jumping back and forth created a puzzle that I put together for myself, deciding what parts of the characters' lives I would find the most interesting and waiting for them to come. Sadly, for me, those sequences never came. ***

Rating System:

**** = Amazing, Fantastic, Life-Changing
*** = Excellent & Worth a Read
** = Not a Complete Waste of Time but I Probably Wouldn't Recommend It
* = Blech!

And I don't do that half-star nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment