Thursday, June 21, 2012

Jar

Hubs and I went to Jar a few months back. We went early, sat in a corner booth that was great for people watching. We spotted Martha Plimpton among the eclectic crowd.


I've heard the restaraunt decor could be straight out of Mad Men, and though I don't watch the show, the surrounding wood panels do inspire one to sip a glass of scotch at any hour of the day. The large room manages to still feel cozy and walk the line between boisterous and intimate.

The food was good. I had their signature pot roast. It tasted good and all, but I'm sure I could make something comparable on a lazy weekend day. It was also pricey for what it was. It's an inexpensive cut of meat, and it didn't come with anything. All the main courses are a la carte, so you have to pay for every side. I didn't need a fancy side with it, but, I'm sorry, if I'm at a pricey restaurant and served a piece of meat in a bath of sauce, I need a starch to soak it up. Starch, people! Potatoes or rice, two of the cheapest things you can buy. Not having a starch served with it seemed indecent.

Surprisingly, I did not have to pay extra for the carrots.

Hubs had a pork chop, which was better than my roast. Well-cooked, very juicy.

A dressed onion as a side/garnish? Please. Just scatter some parsley on the plate. You aren't fooling anyone.

The stuffed squash blossoms were also tasty.



These were the standout dishes:

Who would've thought a place that specializes in pot roast would have great Fried Rice? This is the only thing I would reorder on a return trip.

This might not look special but it was hard to share and not gobble it all up for myself.

The pastry chef is pretty great there. We ordered two desserts because we couldn't decide which one to share. The pumpkin bread pudding was so, so delicious. Everything a dessert should be. Warm cake, cold ice cream, spiced pumpkin. Comfort food at its finest.


We also had a butterscotch something or other. I forgot what it was called. L.A. is currently going through a butterscotch craze. This was the first of a few butterscotch pot de creme desserts we've had lately. They've all been good. Butterscotch was my favorite Jello Powder + Milk = Pudding when I was a kid, so my mouth waters at the mention of it.


If we went back, the only thing I would reorder is the fried rice. They had a lot fantastic looking starters. It might be a place where our best bet would be to make a meal out of appetizers, and whatever new desserts they're offereing, at least one would be worth trying, but we'd probably end up getting two again.

No comments:

Post a Comment