Wednesday, June 27, 2012

R.I.P., Nora Ephron



When I saw the headline of Nora Ephron's death on Yahoo, I gasped. One of those shrieking inhales that feels like your heart stopped beating for five seconds.

Obviously, she was a great writer, and I mourn the fact that she will never write another movie or pen another book of essays. But my sadness is also selfish. When I turned my focus to writing a couple years ago, I was asked what screenwriter I wanted my writing and career to emulate. I thought about it for thirty seconds. Nora Ephron. Not just because I write romantic comedies, but also because of the way her great sense of humor shined through in everything she wrote, humorous or tragic. I wanted to have lunch with her, and I dreamed that maybe one day I would. I don't want my idol to be dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment