Thursday, September 6, 2012

September Spirit!

Yea. I feel like cheerleader.

I've set a lofty goal for myself: finish the first draft of a screenplay by October 1st.

This is what my heart feels like when I finish a first draft.

It's been awhile since I've written a feature. Lately, I've been focusing on building up my TV portfolio, and I think it's time to throw another movie into the mix. I've had this script idea for awhile, certain scenes have always been vivid. Months ago, I wrote ten pages and then started working on another TV script.

Over Labor Day weekend I outlined. I'm working off of a 3 page document that contains brief descriptions of all the scenes I think the movie needs. Of course, a lot of those scenes will evolve as I go along and my characters and plot surprise me, but it's comforting to have an outline if you really need to crank out pages in a short amount of time. There's no pondering in front of the computer where the story is going or where it will end up. And if I come up with a better idea for a character or plot point that has a ripple effect on the rest of the story, it's not as big of a deal because I can look at my outline and see exactly how it will affect my other scenes and adjust accordingly.

On Monday I started writing. I have a long way to go, but I'm looking forward to the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment