Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Best Books I Read This Year


None of these books were published this year.  I'm way behind on my reading.

Runaway by Alice Munro.  This collection of short stories blew my mind.  Ms. Munro has a way with words.  After reading this book, I want to read everything she has written.  That's the highest compliment I can give.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon.  My subtitle for this book is "How to Live the American Dream."  The book is a beautiful portrait of America and hope and dreams and disillusion.  Great storytelling.  I doubt it will ever get translated to film but this is one cinematic read.

Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson.  I went to the library to check out Gilead and it wasn't there, so I settled for this.  Solid read.  A story about mental illness that wasn't terribly depressing was refreshing.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  I never read this in high school as I think most of America did.  I really enjoyed it.  The themes of greed and lack of consequence still resonate today.  I can understand why Carey Mulligan cried when she landed the part of Daisy. (Spoiler)  Every young actress would want to play this spoiled princess turned world's worst driver.  Don't know if I see Leo as Gatsby, but Tobey Maguire will make a great Nick.  I'm excited to see who will play Tom.  May I suggest James Marsden?  He always plays nicey nice and I think he could pull off smug aristocratic asshole and surprise a lot of people.

Books I want to read next year:  Gilead, The Corrections, The Road, Jane Eyre, 100 Years of Solitude

No comments:

Post a Comment