Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Worst Movie of 2010

I can't think of a truly awful movie I saw this year.  I'm fairly selective, and I usually avoid the big summer popcorn movies.  I guess I would have to give it to Sex and the City 2: Lost in Abu Dhabi. I loved the series. I mean, I loooved it. Once, during a particularly depressing stretch of unemployment, I watched the entire series in one week on dvd. And I felt better.

The first movie was not good. The second movie is a mockery of everything that made the series great (and a smidge racist, to boot).


Let's Remember the Good Times

Well, I could write a term paper on how the movie directly contradicts characterizations that were set up in the series. But I will simply mention the most egregious one. Remember how when Carrie dated Aidan (the second time) and he just wanted to each fried chicken out of the bucket in bed when she wanted to go to the new hot club where she wore her engagement ring as a necklace, and his wanting to be a homebody was a major point of conflict? Okay, so in the SATC2, Big, now Carrie's husband, has become Aidan. Except he prefers his bucket of chicken on the couch. This seems natural for Big. He's settled, content. And he just spent an assload of money decorating this apartment, why wouldn't he want to relax and enjoy it? Carrie still wants to be out and about. Fine. So all the girls pack up and go to Abu Dhabi for some crazy contrived reason and she just happens to run into Aidan.  And she sparks with him. Whyyyyyy? Aidan and Big are now the same person! If you are in marital discontent, wouldn't the most enticing partner be the exact opposite of the person you are married to, at least for the sake of, you know, cinematic movie making?

Okay, I'm done.

Another surprise disappointment was a classic, From Here to Eternity. This one just didn't work for me. Characters without motivation. People making bad decisions for no reason. And a romantic, underexposed (it's really, really dark) roll in the sand couldn't save it. I don't know why this movie is so revered. Frank Sinatra gives a great performance, but that was the only high point in the movie for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment