Thursday, January 19, 2012

Another Reason Why the World Hates America

Lucky kids.


I've had a subscription to Lucky magazine for more than a few years. It's a more down-to-earth Vogue, but without the interesting interviews. I don't know, it makes me feel more girly getting a fashion magazine every month, and I enjoy imagining myself as the fashionista I clearly am not.

In this month's magazine, I was sent a Lucky kids supplement. You know, in case you're worried your kids will get made fun of if they don't show up to their first day of kindergarten in Dolce & Gabbana. They seriously have Gucci and Burberry ads FOR CHILDREN. It makes me queasy. And really? Like that kid's not hiding that wolf-eared scarf monstrosity in his backback the minute he's out of Mom's sight.

And then, there's the worst headline: "I want my kid's hair color!" Um, it is your kid. You probably gave him/her the color hair they have. Is there really much to be jealous of here? If it's not your hair color, it's probably your significant other's, and really, on what magazine would you ever, ever read: "I want my husband's hair color!"? Because that would just be sad. Almost as sad as Lucky kids.

Note: I wrote this post months ago and somehow forgot to publish it. Since then, another issue of Lucky kids has been included in my subscription. The madness continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment