Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"Run" by Ann Patchett

A book review.


  I recently finished listening to the audio book of "Run" by Ann Patchett. I enjoyed it quite a bit. As usual, her characters were beautiful and human. I love how many of the characters in her books have really unusual jobs. The characters in my screenplays always have the most stereotypical, boring jobs because I'm too lazy to research a job outside my comfort zone. Most of the time, their jobs aren't terribly important to the story, so I don't worry about it too much. But I think in the future, I'm going to try to write a character who's more defined by his/her job. I think that would be interesting, and a good excercise for me. It definitely had interesting effects on the characters in this book.
     Unlike some of Patchett's other books, this one felt like it built to a realisting conclusion that became a natural ending. And the title is perfect. One of the best titles for a book I've read. ***

Rating System:

**** = Amazing, Fantastic, Life-Changing
*** = Excellent & Worth a Read
** = Not a Complete Waste of Time but I Probably Wouldn't Recommend It
* = Blech!

And I don't do that half-star nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment