Friday, April 19, 2013

OLIVE KITTERIDGE by Elizabeth Strout

A book review.


Olive Kitteridge is not, as one would refer to in screenplay talk, a likeable character. She speaks her mind without any sense of repercussion or others' feelings. Fortunately, this makes her fiercely interesting, which is better than likeable any day.

OLIVE KITTERIDGE is not just about Olive, it's a collection of short stories where she is sometimes the lead, but often stands at the sidelines while another person residing in her beloved Crosby, Maine takes the spotlight and has their story exposed for all to see. It's an effective tactic, one that is as revealing as Olive herself in her unabashed honesty. It's a book about the deception in simple moments and simple lives. Elizabeth Strout writes about them with the reverence they deserve. ****

Rating System:

**** = Amazing, Fantastic, Life-Changing
*** = Excellent & Worth a Read
** = Not a Complete Waste of Time but I Probably Wouldn't Recommend It
* = Blech!

And I don't do that half-star nonsense.

3 comments:

  1. Me, too. Did you know they're making a pilot at HBO with Frances McDormand as Olive? I don't know how it will turn out, but I think she's the perfect cast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the movie. McDormand would probably good. Although the truth is I rarely like the movie versions of my favorite books. I hope they film it in Maine!

      Delete