Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Lazy Ox Canteen, Again

We enjoyed our first trip to the Lazy Ox Canteen so much that we decided to go back for brunch. Full disclosure: We made another previous trip for lunch but the camera was left behind, thus, no blog post. So we knew brunch would be good going in.

First up, some Pig Ear Chicharrones.


Crispy, salty, with a distinct pork flavor. Not at all greasy, like the pig ear experience I had at Church and State. The salsa verde and Cholula sauce were perfect compliments.

For my main course, I was in a Burger mood.


Basic burger. Cheddar, raw red onion, leaf of lettuce, mayo, Dijon, good bun. I was specifically asked if I wanted it medium-well, to which the server realized his mistake and corrected to medium-rare. We had a laugh because I definitely wanted it medium-rare. Ironically, when it arrived it was medium-well. It seems my burgers are rarely cooked to the requested temperature, but I'm not the type of person to send it back. Mostly because I'd have to wait for another one and I'm impatient. But I think quality beef will be good even if it's overcooked. This meat was fatty enough that it was still moist and juicy.

Hubs had the CrOX Ma Damn!


Typical croque madame. The ham was very good.

Dessert is listed on the menu as a Chocolate Chip Cookie.


But it's baked to order in a cast iron skillet and topped with vanilla ice cream. The cookie had hazelnuts in it, too, which was unique.

All in all, another fine meal from the Lazy Ox.

No comments:

Post a Comment