Friday, July 8, 2016

Sights and Food in Queenstown


The best thing to do in Queenstown is stroll along Lake Wakatipu.

Particularly at sunset.




The Remarkables poking up all around you. Nature is all around.



There's something magical. Young people are drinking on the pebbled beach.


The tourists make for great people watching. And live music drifts out of bars. Having a drink at any of the places along the pier is a good idea.

And, yes, there are a hundred other things you can do in Queenstown proper. It's a ski resort town, and in the summer, its adventure land. You can go speedboating, zip lining, and bungee jumping, just to name a few things. We were there for Glenorchy Road, so we didn't feel the need to pay for extra excursions. But they are plentiful.

And there's some delicious food in Queenstown. Starting with my favorite meal during our stay, the clam chowder at The Bathhouse. The Bathhouse is one of those restaurants to not have good food because it's quaint and slightly fancy inside, plus it's right on the pebble beach overlooking the water and the Remarkables. Hubs had a salad that had a fun presentation.



Ice cream at Patagonia. The flavor I picked on a whim was mascarpone and fruits of the forest. Seriously, one of the best scoops of ice cream I've ever had and I'm the kind of girl who likes chocolate in her desserts. I just spelled "dessert" as "desert," but I like chocolate in my deserts, too.


Had a couple good meals and great beers on draft at Pub on Wharf. Had the 3hr. slow-cooked beef, cheese plate, and ugly bread (two different meals).



Lucked out with some good live music both nights we ate there.


Truffles at Koko Black. The internet is telling me that this shop has since gone out of business in Queenstown, but they still have locations throughout Australia.


Let's talk for a minute about Fergburger. Okay, I'm not gonna knock the Ferg. My burger was fine.


But it was just fine. If you go to Fergburger and the line looks like this...


It's not worth waiting, IMO. We didn't wait to order at all. While we were eating the line grew and I snapped this shot. The appeal must be in the low cost and the number of options, which, yes, are good things. Other than that, I don't know. However, I do know that the gelato at Fergbaker, next door, is well worth checking out. Yum.


Had some really good pizza at The Cow. It's so dark and cozy inside, like a cabin in the woods. Perfect for chilly nights.



And the garlic bread was special, and could be a meal of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment