Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Battling Writer's Block


I have not been nearly as productive the last few months as I should have been. I've had the luxury of taking some time off of work and in the last half of 2010, I wrote like a madwoman. I completed first drafts of two screenplays, did a major rewrite of a third, and wrote a drama pilot. Not too shabby. Even better, I think all those projects are solid pieces to enhance my portfolio...after I do one or two more rounds of revisions.

2011 came around and I was still on fire. At the beginning of the year, I wrote a comedy spec, which also turned out well. And then I was done, spent. I missed bringing home a paycheck, and I missed the socialization I got at work. Who would've ever thought I liked people so much? But, worst of all, my enthusiasm for all my half-ideas dried up. Yes, I had writer's block. And it sucked. All spring, I wrote nothing. I'm sure I could've done a better job of pushing through it, but I felt uninspired and helpless. This was the first time I've had such a creative block. It was my worst fear, and wallowing in it felt like I was confronting it, I guess. I don't know. I don't have any great advice on how to get through writer's block. But it's over, and hopefully it won't return, ever. But that's a lofty goal. Part of me is glad I've gone through it. I survived. I didn't even need to go on anti-depressants.

I just landed a new job that starts in a couple weeks. It's going to be hard. It's going to be a lot of hours. The commute is not going to be fun. But I'm happy to be collecting a paycheck again. I'm relieved to have a set schedule. And I'm really unafraid of writer's block now. Whenever I'm working and don't have the time I'd like to have for writing, that's when all the ideas come. Oh, cruel, cruel creativity. So I'm looking forward to having little time to write and making the most of it. Creativity, bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment