Sunday, July 31, 2011

Crazy, Stupid, Love.


Be careful what you wish for.

A few days ago I posted about how excited I was about seeing Crazy, Stupid, Love. I was elated at its PG-13 rating and wanted all the teens to go see it. Apparently, the filmmakers wanted the same thing because in a movie that starred Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling, and Emma Stone, there was way, way too much time given to the storylines involving the unknown teenagers in this film (although I admittedly watched America's Next Top Model when Analeigh Tipton was a contestant, and  was rooting for her to win because she was the cool, open-minded girl who gave that transitioning girl her hormone shots). I felt like every time I was invested in the Carell/Moore/Gosling storylines, slam! We'd be back on those damn kids.

I thought the movie seemed a little choppy in places. The tone of some scenes didn't seem to flow with the previous scene. Perhaps the scenes were rearranged during editing, I don't know. I didn't read the script, though have heard it was quite good.

Steve Carell was pretty fantastic. I could see him getting a Golden Globe nod for comedy on this one. It wasn't an easy part to play, and I think he nailed it. Ryan Gosling is suprisingly funny, still seems a bit weird, and gorgeous as ever. I thought he and Emma Stone had great chemisty, and I wanted to see more of them together.

There were definitely some moments and situations that I didn't see coming. That's always refreshing, and worth the admission price. Overall, the film was actually funnier than I thought it would be. There were even a few laugh out loud moments, which are becoming more and more rare.

I think I'm being harder on this film because I had hope that it could be one of my favorites of all time, a rom com that I would watch on Sunday when it plays all over cable and I don't even care that there are commercials. This was not that movie. The film was good, but it didn't leave me with the warm, fuzzy feeling I wanted, and I'm not itching to see it again anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment