Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A-Frame

A-Frame used to be an IHOP in Culver City. Its current form is much improved. No booths line the walls. Instead, it's communal eating; large tables seat multiple parties. All in all, the food was really fun and I'd love to go back and try all new items, since our stomachs were only so big.

We started out with some fun appetizers. The Kettle Corn sounded interesting.


Hubs loved it: crunchy, sweet, salty, tangy. Something in this kettle corn tasted too fishy for me. Not a fan.

But the Heirloom Pickles were amazeballs.


This was my favorite dish of the night. Pickled carrots, cucumbers, radishes, pears, and fennel. With a creamy sesame sauce. Loved the sauce, and I'm picky about condiments. I'm all inspired to pickle now.

After our neighbors raved about the Beer Can Chicken we decided to order that.


The chicken was fine, juicy meat and crispy skin. The two sauces it came with were the selling point. One was a sweet cilantro sauce, the other a spicy, smokey chili. Hubs preferred the cilantro, I liked the red chili, so that worked out.

I wanted to try A-Frame's version of Clam Chowder. If you love Thai green curry (minus the curry) and clam chowder, this might be your new favorite soup. Lots of clams. The portion was much larger than I expected, almost too big. I liked this dish, but it tasted exactly how I thought it would (which was quite delicious), but I wouldn't get it again because there was no element of suprise.


I'm over churros. I'm fairly convinced I've already had the best churro of my life at Senor Fred's, and the main reason it's the best churro is because it comes with the most amazing hot chocolate ever. But everyone around us was getting the churros, and our waiter was raving about them, and my pick of a black pepper schezchuan ice cream sandwich suddenly seemed less exciting.


Meh. Fried pound cake rolled in cinnamon and sugar. Served with a chocolatey malted milk with ice cream. It wasn't very exciting. Again, no suprise flavors to make it special. Next time I'm trying the ice cream sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment