Friday, January 28, 2011

Ad Astra Per Aspera


Every generation has moments of I-remember-exactly-where-I-was-when-(something monumental witnessed by masses)-happened. It's usually something awful. And our lives are long; there are a number of these moments referenced.

The one-ring-to-rule-them-all will be 9/11. At least, I hope that's mine, because I can't imagine anything worse, and I don't want to. Before 9/11 there were only two in my life: the O.J. verdict and the Challenger.

For O.J., I was in study hall and my class listened to the verdict being read on the radio. Crickets.

The Challenger was more traumatic. I was little. As in, it's one of my first memories. I remember my mom's excitement because a teacher was going up and how that was different and important.  It seemed as if she had hope that one day she might go into space. 

We watched the launch live in my parent's bedroom. My neck craned up to see the TV on top of the dresser. There was fire, but to me, the whole launch was fiery so I thought nothing of it. Tears streamed down my mom's face, her hand over her mouth. The TV was turned off soon after. I still remember her face.  

On the 25th anniversay of the Challenger launch, I want to take a moment to remember...send out a prayer to the families and friends of those who were lost. 

Michael J. Smith
Dick Scobee
Ronald McNair
Ellison Onizuka
Christa McAuliffe
Gregory Jarvis
Judith Resnik

Ad astra per aspera.

No comments:

Post a Comment