Sunday, January 9, 2011

Vows


One year ago today I married Hubs.  In celebration of that wonderful day, I'm posting our vows.  We wanted to write our own vows to make it personal, but we wanted a traditional feel at the same time.  So we wrote vows that our minister (Hubs' Dad) read and we recited.   Plus, I knew if the two of us wrote separate vows to read to each other, Hubs would totally kick my ass in the sentamentality department.

We added a lot of personal touches to our wedding, but writing the vows together was my favorite part.  One Sunday afternoon in November we sat down at the kitchen table, looked at traditional vows, and discussed what we liked and disliked.  We came up with vows that worked for us.  And isn't that what a marraige is all about?  Here are the vows he made to me:

Lisa, I give myself to you, to be your husband.

I promise to love you with an open heart, to cherish you for the person you are, and appreciate you in new ways as we grow and change.

I promise to be faithful to you, to be honest and truthful, to honor and respect you, always.

I promise to listen to you and encourage you.

All of these things I promise, whether we are at our best or at our worst, in joy and in sorrow, when it’s easy and when it’s hard, as long as we both shall live.

No comments:

Post a Comment