Friday, January 28, 2011

The Dilemma


No, no, not that Vince Vaughn/Kevin James movie that nobody is watching. But, speaking of that, come on Hollywood!  This is a comedy about relationships. That would mean it's a "chick flick." And as a chick who this film is targeted at, I get Vince Vaughn and Kevin James as eye candy? Yuck. This is not what women want. And if we drag our boyfriends or husbands along they get Jennifer Connelly and Winona Ryder. So not fair. 

I'm ranting about a different dilemma. I've seen two adds in the last few weeks for the show "What Would You Do?" It's one of those hidden camera shows that tests the social conscience of America. I think they used to do shows about topics that were a little thought provoking. Like, someone's significant other is being a little too aggressive/violent towards them in Central Park. What would you do? Call the cops, or keep on jogging? And the audience would sit at home thinking, "I definitely would have called the cops." Inevitably, more bystanders choose to ignore the situation as most people actually would do. Sad, but true.

I think this show has run out of ideas. Recently the promo was revolving around the topic of gold diggers. An elderly gentleman sits at a bar with his hot-young-blonde-thing date. He goes to the bathroom and she thinks out loud, "God, I hope he just dies." What would you do? Hilarious, but not a moral dilemma. If you are old and dating a 20-year-old and think they're with you because you are soul mates, you are delusional and probably have much larger problems than a gold digging girlfriend. I hope you have a good lawyer. Couldn't half of Hollywood be on this "What Would You Do?" The next time I see an older man with a young woman I should do the socially conscious thing and fill the man in, you know, for his own good. I'd probably get the cops called on me.

I just saw a promo for the episode that's on tonight. A surly customer harasses a waitress. What would you do? Okay, this is what a Manager is for. Any worker getting harassed anywhere just needs to say, "Let me get my Manager."  Manager either appeases customer or politely asks him to leave. It is his/her job to handle the situation, not the waiter/waitress.

Just because it's a reality show doesn't mean suspension of disbelief and logic go out the window. Even reality shows have to hold some truth to draw an audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment