Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Canines


The first time I watched the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show was in 1990. I know the year because a pekingese won my first year viewing and last night a pekingese made it to Best in Show, so they were showing all the stats. My mom had a pek growing up, so there's a place in my heart for those ridiculous-looking, waddling dogs.

But last night was all about Hickory, the Scottish Deerhound. I've watched Westminster fairly regularly over the past two decades. I always root for the big dogs from hound and the working groups, but they don't win very often. I was expecting the smooth fox terrier or the pekingese to take the title, and was completely shocked when the charming Italian judge gave the prize to the deerhound. I wasn't even rooting for the deerhound this year. I loved the sharpei. Oh well.

Hickory is a beautiful dog, but she didn't even get excited when she won. Usually the dogs are jumping up and down, clawing the hell out of their handlers. Hickory's paws never left the ground; she remained elegant to the end. I must admit it was a little anticlimactic. But I'm glad one of the big dogs won.

No comments:

Post a Comment