Monday, February 21, 2011

Mine's Bigger Than Yours

 
I've worked some crazy jobs since I moved to LA. Lots of interesting characters. I read an article this week that reminded me of a funny work story.

I once saw the office of an executive producer on a successful TV show. We'll call that Show A. Show A had been on for a couple seasons before Show B started. Show B was not a rip-off of Show A, but it had a similar feel, and the shows were often compared to one another. Show B usually fared better in these comparisons, at least critically.

I noticed a framed letter hanging outside of the EP's office. It was a letter to the EP, in ugly, scrawled penmanship (it could have been a ransom note) about how Show B sucked and Show A was awesome. There was even profanity. And there it was, framed for all the world to see. It wasn't a note from Spielberg congratulating and admitting to being a fan, this was some random person from Nowheresville with the penmanship of a kindergartner and the grammar of a preschooler. It made me giggle. I still imagine the EP ordering his assistant to frame and hang that letter.

Ha! See! We have won. My show is better. This note proves it.

And so it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment