Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Leggo My Chego

So, I've wanted to go to Chego for awhile, even moreso after Jonathan Gold named their Hot Buttered Kimchi Bowl one of the ten best dishes of last year. We finally made it out last weekend, and it didn't dissappoint.

I had to order the Kimchi Bowl because Jonathan Gold told me to.


I'm realizing that Jonathan Gold and I don't share the same palate. He raved about the Pig Ears at Church and State. I wasn't in love, too rich and greasy for me. He loves the ramen at Jinya. I thought it was okay, but I won't be craving it again until I'm ill with a cold. Not that the kimchi bowl was bad, it was fine. All the flavors seemed to muddle together for me. I found Hubs' Pork Belly Bowl to be much better.


I went to bed craving more of this and woke up wanting it for breakfast. All the flavors were so distinct. Beautiful spinach and basil kept it tasting light and fresh, but the rice and sauce were rich, and the tender, smoky pork belly was divine. Seriously, my favorite new dish that I've had in a long time. It makes me sad that we live so far away from Chego. But it's probably for the best because if I lived close, I would eat it every day and burn out. I can't wait to go back and get more Pork Belly and try the chicken rice bowl.

We didn't have any appetizers, and I definitely want to try some on our next visit. Skipping dessert was not an option. We shared a tres leches cake, which was rich and creamy, but didn't leave me wanting it again the next morning.  However, we also had the sriracha candy bar, which has left me craving it all hours of the day. It was delicious with just a hint of sriracha and delicious peanut brittle. So rich and good.

Thanks for a great meal, Chego!

No comments:

Post a Comment