Saturday, February 12, 2011

Mas Malo

I hit my head on that lamp when I stood up. Fun times.

Last night one of my friends was having a birthday celebration downtown at Mas Malo. Hubs and I decided to go early and get dinner. We hopped on the subway and hoped we would arrive before the rest of the crowds. We were told the wait would be a half hour for a table on the main floor, but that there was seating downstairs with the full menu. So that's where we went. We're not big fans of waiting if we don't have to.

Of course, I forgot my camera, so there are no food photos. The photo I used is from their website.

It was a little brighter downstairs than I would have liked it to be, but the music was good and the atmosphere was loud and jovial. The margaritas were very solid, strong and tart with lime juice. We ordered the Salsa Flight which included tomatillo, mole, creamy chipotle, pico de gallo, and a tomato salsa that I think had cucumber in it because it was extra fresh tasting.  That one was my favorite. The chipotle one was excellent, too. It didn't seem too spicy at first but it was sneaky spice (the 6th spice girl); after you swallow, that's when it hits you. Whew, I needed a lot of water. Even the margarita didn't help at first :)

We both ordered tortas. Hubs got the Ahogada which was sweet Coca-Cola carnitas and the sandwiched was doused with a flavorful red sauce with a little kick. It was really good. I had the Goat Barbacoa, which also had a nice little kick and the meat was so tender. Yum.

It's not somewhere that we'll be racing back to, but the food was good and I definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment