Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Fifth Taste

I've been dreaming of Umami Burger ever since the last time I went there. One would assume I was craving the signature Umami Burger or one of the many sophisticated beef or turkey burgers on the menu.  But, no. I fell in love with the Earth Burger, a veggie burger made from ground up mushrooms and edamame. The patty is tinted red with beet juice and has the texture of raw ground beef. Truffle ricotta makes it extra special. Nope, this isn't vegan. I find this burger to be a very carnal experience.

I used the flash so the red from the beets would show.

I am not a vegetarian but I'm always trying to find meat alternatives. I'll try any veggie burger that says "homemade." I'm not going to a restaurant to pay for a Boca Burger, but I'll keep a box in my freezer. Along with Umami, Hugo's has my other favorite veggie burger.

Hubs sticks with the beef. He appropriately got a Manly Burger. I had a bite and it was great.

Manly Burger

The onion rings are special, too.



They're made from tempura batter and the baking power or soda or whatever it is makes them puffier than your usual onion ring, but they're still very crunchy. Hubs isn't a huge fan of onion rings and he suggested we order them again, so you know they're good.

Service at Umami can be frustrating. We waited for our food longer than it took to eat it, and we eat sloooow. Go at an off time and eat a snack before you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment