Monday, February 28, 2011

Oscars 2010

Awards season is over! Congratulations to The King's Speech on its Best Picture win. My thoughts on the Oscars can best be summed up with my Top Ten list. Since there were five movies on my list that placed higher than TKS, it obviously wouldn't have been my pick. But that's okay, because Avatar didn't win last year, and for that I am still grateful.


I love Aaron Sorkin for many reasons. He's an amazing writer. He's eloquent and well-spoken. And I know his assistant's name is Laura. The reason I know that is because he thanks her every time he gets an award. What a stand up guy. Every single person who won last night (expect maybe the doc and short film people) has an assistant (probably more than one). How many people thanked their assistant (and their researcher)? Mr. Aaron Sorkin. Yep, I think that was it. From all the assistants out there, Thank You.

Best Acceptance Speech of the Evening: Luke Matheny, the NYU student who accepted for "God of Love" for Best Short Film. He thanked his mom for being Craft Services on his movie. It was the biggest laugh of the night.

But enough about the awards, it's all about who looked best. My top 5 IN ORDER:

Best Dressed: Amy Adams


Glorious. Sparkly. Perfect jewelry. Can someone lend me some emeralds?

2.) Jennifer Lawrence


Va Va Voom. The Oscars needed some sexiness this year, and Jennifer brought it. And her makeup. Oh, the makeup. Best makeup of anyone all awards season.

3.) Annette Bening


This is the dress Melissa Leo should have worn. It's age appropriate, yet fun. But I think it would look great on women of all ages. I want it. I could find somewhere to wear it.

4.) Natalie Portman


It was her night and she looked the best she's looked all season. Ditch the matchy-match earrings and she's perfection.

5.) Helen Mirren


I. Just. Love. Her.

Honorable Mention: Hailee Steinfeld

I liked her Oscar dress...


I love that she helped design it. It's lovely and youthful. I think the headband ruined it for me, much as Natalie's earrings almost ruined her look. But cheers for looking like a fourteen year old should look when she goes to the Oscars. And cheers for looking like a superstar at the SAGs.


This dress is freakin' awesome. It should look like a table cloth, but instead looks like a work of art. Way to rock it, Hailee. And the season started with this:


Pretty fabulous way to start. Thanks for a lovely awards season, Hailee, and for nailing all three of the televised shows.

1 comment:

  1. Especially liked David Seidler's talk when accepting his Oscar:

    "My father always said that I'd be a late bloomer."

    But his mature age, I think, led him to avoid the trap of the thank you list.
    ________________________

    Anne Hathaway and James Franco. I hope they're given another chance to host, some day. I liked them as hosts.

    P.S.

    Jon Stewart's first gig was in the back of a bookstore, with a small audience. So, it takes seasoning to grow.

    ReplyDelete